Fisanthoek MTB routes on your doorstep at Packwood Wine Estate
When it comes to outdoor activities for adventure lovers, hikers and cyclists and nature lovers, a trip to the forests around Packwood in Fisanthoek are a must! We have world class mountain biking (MTB) routes and hiking trails right on the doorstep of Packwood wine estate just off the N2, at Harkerville.
Packwood is nestled on the edge of the very forests that contain some of Fisanthoek‘s best MTB routes and hiking trails in the region, making it a perfect place to stay, sip wine and venture into the outdoors.
Packwood offers immediate access to the Fisanthoek MTB routes
After a good nights rest whilst staying at Packwood wine estate, what could be more rewarding than grabbing your gear (and your bike), energising yourself with a glass of Packwood milk straight from the dairy to set you up for the day, before heading into the unspoiled natural forest just outside the Packwood gate?
The Fisanthoek region was recently touted by the Knysna Osyter festival goers as ‘….The Utopia of hiking and cycling’.
We’ve therefore gathered some “must-know” local secrets about the area (great for walkers and hikers alike) so read on…
- The area is surrounded by lush indigenous vegetation, forest paths and streams, single track MTB trails and well sign-posted walking and hiking trails.
- Best known and only minutes from the Packwood gate (by bike) is the end section of the 16km ‘Petrus-se-Brand Route‘. This is navigated by an old timber slip-path that winds through the Diepwalle forest on a fast single track towards the Garden of Eden.
- Many trails open up into clearings en-route, offering endless views of the Tsitsikamma Mountains.
- This region of the Garden Route has a very temperate climate (never too hot, or too cold) making Knysna and Plett perfect for mountain biking, walking, hiking and general outdoor activity.
- The forest surrounding Packwood has numerous picnic spots and well sign-posted paths for enjoying the wonders of nature whilst looking out for wildlife. You may be lucky enough to see a caracal, buck, monkeys or even the mysterious Knysna Elephant!
- The forests around Fisanthoek are mostly indigenous and there are certain areas where the beautiful colours of the Fynbos (native flora to South Africa) spread across the landscape for miles. In fact the forests in this area are one of the richest areas in the world for plant biodiversity.
- Most Fisanthoek MTB routes cross a stream or two, suitable for refilling water bottles with fresh, clean drinking water. The dark colour is due to the tannin’s and humic acids from the leaves on the forest floor but drinkable all the same.
- Along the Petrus-se-Brand Route there are some good swimming holes for an invigorating dip to cool off
The best thing about going cycling or hiking around Fisanthoek?
Why not browse our suggested detailed itinerary of activities at Packwood itself, from horse-riding, fishing, and bird watching to shopping, elephant rides and quad biking.
Furthermore, if you have any queries about the region let us know and we will do our best to advise you.
Contact us to book up your accommodation as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.